View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AnvilheadII

i'm going out on a limb here and stating that in my experience, there IS NO opposite emotion.

back when i was learning to ski, it was a slow tortuous process. i'm not exactly a born athlete and i had this FEAR of.....getting ON the chair lift, getting OFF the chair lift, getting DOWN hill in one piece, crashing into trees, people, buildings. for three winter ski seasons i bunny hilled and snow plowed my way along. every time going up the mountain in the car, i wanted to throw up.

i learned that oatmeal first was a great salve for the tummy. i learned that even IF i did kind of forget to get OFF the lift at the top, the nice operator would STOP the lift and help me dismount. i learned to not worry AS MUCH what the other skiers thought, or that everyone else on the slope was an expert and i was the only idiot. (have you ever had a toddler rocket past you on skiis????).

i learned i was never really going fast enough to really hurt myself when i fell. i learned i fell often. i learned there was just no looking good while doing it.

i also eventually learned how to ski. one day it just.....happened. somewhere in year three, after chasing my husband and his buddy off with my ski pole, snarling just leave me alone!!! my weight shifted forward, i stopped hugging the hill, and there i was.....making lovely S turns and HUMMING! THEN the fear left. but i'd had to drag it along with me all that time. scared and doing it anyway.