Thread: Aa
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by zombiegirl View Post
So I have made the call and I have found where I will be going for my first meeting. Can I ask did you go on your own or did you meet another member there for support? I have chosen to go on my own as I'm very private with things like this.
thank you
I went on my own for the first meeting. I got there 15 minutes early and sat in my car. Five minutes before the meeting, cars started pulling up, and total strangers were going into the building. I imagined them to be desperate lost souls. I chickened out, and decided I should probably call someone and let them know I was coming, so I wouldn't just be barging in a bunch of strangers. Each nightly meeting had a contact person to call. I contacted a guy named Dean, and told him I might have a problem with alcohol, and asked if it would be OK to just show up.

I liked Dean right off the bat. He wasn't pushy or judgmental, and he was upbeat and welcoming. He just told me to check out AA and see if I thought it might be useful. No pressure at all.

I don't think you need to bring anyone for support. AA IS support, and you will get plenty of that from members. Yes, some were lost souls. Others were bright eyed and happy to be sober, some for many years. I was surprised at how upbeat meetings can be.