View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
August252015

Glad you are here, sober and seeing a psych. My psych is crucial in my recovery. Once I stopped drinking, we could address my issues in all ways including the right med regimen.

Naltrexone for cravings was useless to me when I kept drinking on it - however, I did take Antabuse (the drug that makes you ill, and can be fatal, if you drink while taking it) for the first 90 days of my sobriety.

I take lamictal and paxil, and I have Ativan (a benzo so closely monitored) for anxiety, which has proven to be my core issue. At first, where you are, I saw my psych once a month (probably 2-3 times the first month or so, actually) and now every 3 mo as my med regimen is stable with 90 day periods.

Meds are not a cure for alcoholism, correctly prescribed and monitored they can be a major tool, and getting the right ones and doses might not happen with the first go round, and they all take some amount of time to take effect...there are lots of other things I use to sustain my strong recovery.

My view is that using everything available to us that promotes a good sober life is a great idea.