View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
August252015

Path, thanks for sharing and folks made a lot of the same I'd share (hopefully, useful to you and I know compassionately said for you!)...

I'd just add that I get it about the anxiety for sure....I really just work with my husband as far as sharing with him what it is like; he doesn't "get" it first hand, but he does "speak August" as we say and is my best partner to include in these specifics, along with my awesome psych and sponsor, too. I'm also versed in receiving dx like bipolar and BPD - and grateful they do not appear applicable to my sober life and self now.

Frankly, I just don't have people in my life that don't support me 100%. They don't really need to "get" my mental health struggles in order to support me. I've learned a lot about not over-committing, setting boundaries for myself about when, how and with whom I spend my time. Sometimes, conflict with my inner circle happens and I try to hear where others are- with their own "issues," diagnosed or not

For me, the real solution is to live my best life using all the tools I need- meds, AA, rest, good folks, self-care and so on- and to participate actively in conversations and resource communities about addiction and mental health. I don't know that people will ever get stuff they can't experience- like the intense stuff some of us deal with- and I also choose to believe that just like conversations about other things that have challenged our societal norms and prejudices etc can keep evolving and changes happen.

Glad you are here Path.