View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 04:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
August252015

I can only answer what I would do as the prospective sponsor. I would have a chat with the lady about her desire for sobriety, and share my view that pot is not part of what I believe sobriety is, and definitely not part of recovery. I would share my use of prescribed and well supervised psych meds, including ativan, and I would listen to her.

If she desired to keep smoking pot, I would not sponsor her. At this time. If she re-approached me with a different "take" and I see it, commitment, to sobriety then it might be a different opportunity.

I can lead someone as an active sponsor once they commit to sobriety. I don't believe I can do that while someone is actively using drugs. Note my distinction between prescribed and supervised drugs, and street drugs so to speak. For now, I am not looking at this as a scenario of someone with cancer or any condition that *might* have a dr prescribing pot, so to speak, as a palliative measure. Also, I'd add that someone with established sobriety *might* be a different situation if she approached me to be her sponsor.

In the non-AA/NA based recovery group I lead for the F&B industry, this is a common topic. We don't have a sponsorship model like AA, but a sober support group of those of us wanting complete sobriety. I'm not going to tell them what to do, but I'm going to do the same thing as I shared above. And they have to come to their own conclusions about coke, pot, whatever - and what those things do (or don't) add to their best lives.

Finally, I will add that my own (former) sponsor's start with CBD that progressed to pot is one of the reasons I have a new sponsor; seeing her current version of recovery is not something I can support nor do I find it helpful to my own sobriety.

In some ways, this is an increasingly "interesting" conversation as we all see pot becoming legalized and frankly, normalized in many ways it hasn't been in the general population, yet I return to my same conclusion and how I proceed with living and "attracting" (not promoting) those who want their own recovery.