Old 03-14-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I personally feel that alcoholism is self diagnosed. Mainly because if the 'alcoholic' doesn't accept their own problem, the problem can not be solved.

You've been coming here since 2011. I guess the real question is, what do you think? That's the only diagnosis that matters. That inner voice. The higher thinking voice. The one that google 'is my drinking a problem?'.

I would suggest not listening to people telling you you don't have a problem. In all my years in AA I've never heard of members telling people they don't need to be there. Listen to yourself.
Sometimes I wish there were no such word or label as alcoholic. In retrospect, not having a definitive line that must be crossed to identify myself as an alcoholic was of little help. The essence of the situation is that if a person's drinking continually leads him to a place in his head where he doesn't want to be, and if his attempts at moderation continually fail, he has two choices: Continue as is, or stop drinking. Labels aside, this should be your concern and your solution. Waiting for it to become obvious that you are "this or that" kicks the can down the road.

Once you accept that there is a problem, you are at the beginning of recovery. Many people don't want to accept they are bad enough to take action. It's a personal call. Maybe you see yourself has having a mild problem with alcohol. If you are willing to take action, you need to do something. If drinking like a normal person doesn't work, you need to quit. I wish I could see another alternative. God knows, I tried to find that alternative. My solution after a long struggle, was to quit alcohol altogether because I could not find another way.