View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thomas11

A word to the wise.

I recently got back from my bucket list trip to the Philippines. Overall it was an experience I would not trade for anything. It is right up there with my fly in fishing trip to Canada. 5 out of 5 stars.

That being said, where I went was probably not the best place for someone in sobriety. It was a sleepy town where the nightlife simply revolved around socializing and drinking. I think the only thing that saved me is that there were more employees and patrons in the bar/restaurants and the employees don't drink. Most were enamored with an american and I love to story tell, so I did.

A member warned me ahead of time that as an american I'm rich, and that's just a fact. I assure you I'm not rich, but I did have enough respect for myself and the culture that I was clean shaven, fresh haircut, clean clothes and shoes with no holes in them. That is not the norm. Anyway, yes, I was treated like royalty. That was kind of interesting. In summary, as a small town guy in Midwest USA, it was well worth it to see other cultures etc...very interesting.