View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
sydneyman

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I am glad this got bumped too - seems like a lot of posts lately about the original thought process Dee laid out so aptly.

And, as I just did on another thread, I'll quote something Sassy said:
"Anything less than “never” becomes an eventual relapse, because from day one you’re making it ok to drink again. Think this addiction isn’t too powerful to overcome a “maybe?” Think again."

If you're honest and there's any bit of "maybe" in your head...which might be hard to believe...this whole thing, LIFE, won't work.

Someone asked way above if Dee just stopped drinking and everything was cool. That question comes up a lot and I cannot echo my previous comments to this question enough - no. That's not how it happens. Things ultimately become SO much better - without question. A big reason for that is clarity. We make better decisions, deal with the good and bad in life better (or, at all)...we are able to find more good than bad, so much....it takes time, effort, faith (in the ability to stay sober and acceptance we can NEVER drink again, at a minimum) and...support from others.

Glad this discussion has resurfaced as a reminder that drinking is Russian Roulette for an alcoholic like me - so I don't play anymore.

I love you August...You words are wise. This is exactly how I feel. There are no margins for a "maybe" or "perhaps" in my life anymore. Its simply drumming in a NEVER in your mind. Period. Simple yes but at the same time it requires a lot of daily work.
People think that just removing the bottle is the solution. I did twice and hence I'm here the 3d time. It didn't work. Removing the bottle is the tip of the iceberg.
You change as a person when sober. My whole life has changed. The people I hangout with, my lifestyle, even my ethics.
It is acceptance that has made this possible. I have 100% accepted the fact that I am an alcoholic and can NEVER drink again. It makes life a lot easier and uncomplicated. I embrace it.