View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

There's this thing called life....

My pink cloud was a euphoric high, followed by a crash into depression. Which is totally normal. At least initially, I found that the pink cloud itself was a type of high. I was so glad I didn't have that monster in my life anymore, and that the solution to ALL of my problems was a simple as not drinking.

Well, that's absurd, of course. Abstinence is only step one to a fulfilled life. It was after the pink cloud had dissolved that I was able to really work on sobriety.

At this point I'm nearly two years sober, and it's taken that long to get my life into a place where it feels comfortable. When I was drinking, I was 60 pounds heavier, out of shape, single, nearly celibate, in a dead-end job that I loathed with really toxic people, drinking my way through life. Now I'm in great shape, dating and a sexual being again, completely remade my career, and working on some of the demons in my soul that were buried by years of off-and-on drinking and drugging in therapy. Working on my life, and living a sober and fulfilled life. Fresh, vibrant, wide awake, working on living fully in the moment.

I don't do much sobriety practice other than therapy and hanging out with some sober friends I met in my journey, and of course hanging out at our wonderful corner of the internet. This is due to a commitment to never drinking or using addictive drugs again, under any circumstances. I know, with 100% certainty, that I will not ever take a sip of a drink. It's a given, it's solid.

Because life is such an exciting journey that I will never go back to the fuzzy haze of alcohol, the false brittle brightness of cocaine, the paralyzing lethargic euphoria of opiates, or any other state of dulled consciousness.

That's how I roll.