View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
Wishing you the best with this leg of your journey. Please do not let the mind set of others set you back in your recovery. As a parent, it is always difficult to choose the right words when discussing topics with your children that are important to their core development. Your response to your son was completely selfless; you realized the gravity and implications of what he was asking you, and you did your best to answer him honestly and put his mind at ease as he sought to understand the situation. Reassuring him that what you are doing is a good thing, despite the fact that it takes you away from him for a short time in the grand scheme, is what is important.

As as a parent, it was obvious to me you were putting his need for reassurance over a hard and fast rhetoric, and I also do not think I could ever look in my child’s eyes and say I will never drink again...NOT because there is a part of ME that believes I will, but because it is a reality of addiction itself. It seems he already understands there is always that possibility and needs to be assured that if it happened again, as it had previously, that there would still be options for you to get better.
Thank you so much for these words. They made me cry.