View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fearlessat50

Getting together with new friends ...

Hi SR Peeps,
I’ve been invited over to a new friend’s house tonight with some other folks for a get together. These are people I’ve actually known for a while through my parent support group, though this is the first time socializing with them outside a meeting. My son will be coming along as well to play with the other kids. My husband’s coming too.

There’s going to be wine and cocktails, for sure. It’s been a little over two years that I’ve been sober. It sounds strange with so much time gone by. But this is the first time getting together with new friends who don’t know my drinking past, or much about me at all. I’ve lost touch with some of my heavy drinking buddies. The ones I still have don’t invite me out because they assume, I guess, that I am either uncomfortable around others drinking, can’t handle it or I’m no fun anymore .

I am l looking forward to getting to know these new friends better without the need or desire to drink to fit in, and for them to know me as a non-drinker. I don’t believe anyone in this group is a heavy drinker. But you never know. Either way, I’m feeling very strong in my sobriety lately and feel that nothing can shake me. I have my moments with my son, who is my biggest trigger. But I am learning to go with the flow of life, and despite the challenges, my relationship with my son and ability to problem solve and get through tough parenting times is so much better without the booze.

I see this as another milestone in my sobriety.

Just thought I would post for accountability. Thanks for listening . Grateful for all of you!