Thread: Support
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 10:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi doris
it's like I always say - the enausre of our recovery is not what we;re thinking, cos everyone has crazy thoughts for a while - it's our response to those thoughts that is the measure of our recovery.

You came here and ratted yourself out - that's a good thing and a great sign for the future
D
I have crazy thoughts. If I acted on them, someone would probably want to institutionalize me at worst, or just avoid me at best, and I wouldn't blame them. But here's the thing; We don't have to act on these thoughts. There is a gulf of difference between thinking and acting.

While our thoughts might get away from us from time to time, we can control how we can act, and that's what is important. And if our actions don't provide us happiness, we can change our behavior. I tend to laugh at my crazy thoughts. They might strike people as strange, but they are harmless.

Years ago, I went through counseling, which was hugely productive for me personally. I used to discuss my crazy thoughts with my counselor, because sometimes they lead to insights. She never once was she shocked, and she never passed judgement, so I'm guessing my crazy thoughts weren't worse than anyone else's.