Old 03-01-2019, 01:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ayers

What happens to your body at 6 months sober?

Hi all,
I want to share something that has been bothering me.

Okay, so it’s been 6 months , early days in the bigger picture. I have made peace with the fact that it is going to take time before I feel 100% or maybe 80% better . So, I know, with time, many things will start to fade/get less intense/ etc …

I want to know if it is possible that I have had all these aches and pains and funny symptoms all along, and never realised it, because of being numbed by alcohol. Or if I should look into it and investigate further. Of course I will, anyway, but just wondered if any of you have had any of these symptoms

Things that never bothered me up till about a month ago :

*Most of the time I feel very lucid and my memory is much better , but, sometimes I get a moment where I cannot think of a word . Not the normal “cannot remember someone’s name” but a simple word – like cappuccino the other day – I ended up saying “I’d like that nice coffee, please” and my family burst out laughing and said “I think she means a cappuccino” Funny, yes, but scary . It was not the first time.

*Putting out my hand to grab my car keys/a teaspoon/a pen and then freezing , wondering what it is I have to get/do…for just a fraction of a second I have no idea what I am doing.

*My joints in my hips and hands. Trigger finger in left hand and since yesterday it’s starting in right hand.

*After sitting with my legs raised ( on couch ) and I get up, I cannot walk – my feet ache so badly , the whole sole and very bad in the heels, it looks as if I’m walking on hot coals. Only for the first few steps and then it get’s better. And only if my legs have been raised.

*Some mornings I really, really don’t know what day of the week it is. I have to backtrack and think of meals we had/things that happened to know if it’s Wednesday or Friday or whatever day

Do you think our bodies cope in miraculous ways while we are drinking – which makes us appear fine , and then it just flops/gives up/relaxes/fails once we are rid of the toxins and poisons?

I am going to see the doctor – I know that is the only advice any of you will/should give – but I don’t want advice , I want to know if any of you have become aware of strange, little niggly things that you weren’t aware of pre-recovery .

Or is it just that I am suddenly feeling my age maybe? Can it just be coincidence and have nothing to do with quitting?

Will appreciate your sharing.