Old 02-23-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
CupofJoe

I've known several people who have died because of addiction. I think of them sometimes, and I wish they had been able to stay sober. The world is a lesser place because they're gone. I miss them.

I don't talk about them in order to scare people, but the reality is that we need some element of fear. Not overwhelming, but the same kind of fear that keeps me from going 100 miles an hour on a curvy mountain road... I'm happy and content, but the idea of picking up again terrifies me. So I don't fool around with thoughts of moderation or drinking again or any of that. The reality of addiction finally woke me up.

I don't think any of the people I know thought they were going to die from this. They thought they would have more time to get sober. Like tomorrow.

I was the same way and I'm so glad I'm sober. I was lucky that I didn't die from alcoholism. I want to honor their memory by not taking my sobriety for granted. But I also don't want to pretend that this isn't incredibly serious business that we're dealing with.

It's a sad reality that people, including young people, can and do and will die from this. I hope everyone here will stay sober and do what they can to thrive in life.