Thread: Stressful jobs
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 03:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
August252015

My $0.02 here. I work in the restaurant industry and after work for several months at a structured fast food job, I went back to serving at 5 mo sober, and did that for the next yr. The hours and physical toll at a very fast paced place (with three flights of stairs to the very popular patio) were tough. But for the preceding 10 yrs thereabouts, it was how I supported myself after leaving the high flying corp life I had built in sales.

I made specific plans around my schedule - ie, leaving right after a shift was done. Not picking up extra shifts bc I felt money pressure. Limiting my "must dos" around work - socializing, pressure of any optional kind ("I should do...,").
I asked for help as I learned not to keep stress to myself and try to go alone. AA was and is a central part of my recovery.

After a year, the stressful and toxic work world of that specific restaurant was too much. Since then, and at three yrs sober tomorrow, I have been able to shift my work with periods not working that have ended up coinciding with major self care and times of need for caring for family...and all of my decisions have been made on the contribution to my recovery. Thankfully, with a supportive husband who can provide the liberty to do this.

I have shifted to office based work. Right now I am only "working" at the recovery group I lead for the industry.

These are significant differences and priorities not everyone can afford (in any way). I won't work in any place that sabotages my emotional sobriety- which is why I left the job I loved with the restaurant group I love, handling events and admin duties, back in Dec.

That's more than $0.02- I guess my bottom line point is that doing whatever is needed to support my sobriety is what this alcoholic has to find a way to do.