View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

I have major depression- plus c-PTSD, anxiety and more stuff besides. This means if I took the 12 steps literally, I would morally assassinate myself everyday. That I did not say the right thing, that I SHOULD have done this or that. Very low self esteem triggers this.

The step stuff is, IMO- NOT there for me to critically change my soul....but to act as a guide of behavior. We are dictated by thoughts- that feed into emotions, and are shown by our actions. All 3 have to be worked on- hopefully gently, not like a crash course in being human.

The step in the AA program can be applied to many parts of life- but I also remind myself my sponsor, the steps in AA and meetings are there to support me in remaining sober- today, tomorrow and for life. Daily support- daily action. I do not seek advice to my depression or PTSD from meeting members. I get support, understanding and I learn from sharing and listening.

I leave the depression advice to my psychologist and GP- which means I have to be proactive- and very honest.

Support to you.