View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Natom
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Brightsky View Post
I've never been a smoker addicted to cigarettes but i know lots of people who are. It struck me the other day that if these people are trying to stop smoking and make it publicly known, they don't get fellow smokers offering them cigs and saying 'oh just have one!' ? Unlike people who are trying to give up alcohol , who often get pressured into drinking and 'just having one'. Also, someone who is addicted to alcohol isn't just a 'drinker' they're an 'alcoholic'. But someone addicted to nicotine is always just a 'smoker' not a 'smokeaholic' !? Hmm !

It's a weird situation isn't it. But I think it may be because smoking is becoming less acceptable. We have a smoking ban in my country that means you can't smoke in restaurants, pubs, bus-stops....pretty much any enclosed or semi-enclosed public space. I remember reading some statistics about smokers quitting and I believe the number has grown year on year for a substantial amount of time. A lot of people find smoking disgusting. It smells bad, it's super expensive and it severely damages your health.

Unfortunately we haven't quite got there with alcohol yet. We have wine festivals and beer festivals and alcohol is still promoted heavily by advertisers. I've been in a situation where I had to repeatedly tell someone I didn't want or need a drink (like 5 or 6 times). He looked at me like I'd just landed in a spacecraft.

Natom