Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Liveher

Originally Posted by pupper View Post
My approach so far has been to tell people in general "I'm not drinking right now." People I trust I've told "I may not drink ever again." My husband I've told "I don't want to drink anymore." I know that I need to get explicit. And I know that I need to start saying "I don't drink anymore - it's no longer part of my life." Part of me feels like I need to hit a milestone before I can say that, but... is that an excuse? A 'get out of jail' card? Regardless - I feel ready to say that I don't drink anymore, I am living a sober life. But a little part of me (this is the alcoholism talking, isn't it?) thinks I should wait until I've proven I can do it.

I know, I'm looking for a meeting as I type.
My feelings on this... most people don’t even care or even wonder why we’re not drinking. The people that do, possibly feel threatened by it because they’re worried they have their own issue. I don’t know if others will agree, but I don’t think it matters what excuse you have now... “I’m on medication. I’m getting over being sick... I’m on a cleanse...” whatever you want to say now and it’s always your choice when you’re ready in the future to disclose. As long as you DO have something ready to say is more important. For example, I went to an Xmas dinner during one of my attempts to quit late last year... it was with a group I usually drank with. I wasn’t prepared or strong on what to say so when someone poured wine in front of me, it was too easy not to protest. In hindsight, I think it was also a bit premeditated on my part.