Old 02-14-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  
pupper

Originally Posted by Addy47 View Post
Welcome Pupper! I am so sorry about your friend. I too have lost several friends to this disease. Its awful!

And I totally relate to your drinking pattern! That's how I drank and it has kept me in denial for a very long time! I drank 1-2 per week and sometimes only 1-2 per month When I drank I would just get drunk over the course of a few hours. It's not how often I drank...it's what happens when I drink. Once I drink I won't stop until I am drunk and out of control. I don't have an "off switch". I don't want to drink anymore and need help staying sober. I am in AA and love it!

Welcome again!
That is exactly me! I could have a "grown up " dinner and enjoy 3 glasses of something over the course of the meal if I was with a normal drinker, but with someone who drinks more heavily, I would go drink-for-drink until I was (sometimes literally) on the floor. I thought that my "grown up" dinners meant I could control it. As a podcast I just started listening to (Recovery Elevator) says, pay attention to the similarities, not the differences. I'm here! I know it will get harder as I get closer to and pass that 2-week mark (I don't think I've done more than 2 weeks without a drink before). Will start looking for a meeting this weekend. Thank you Addy47 & FoieGras for the welcome! Solidarity & strength to everyone on here.