Thread: Life Is Over
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Guener

What is going to happen to you will depend upon the laws of your State, whether this is your first DWI, your measured blood alcohol, and possibly other aggravating factors. For everyone involved it is very good that nobody was hurt. You can be certain that your license will be suspended or revoked for a period of time. You may go to jail for a period of time, I did, and you will probably be on probation for a period of time during which you may be tested for alcohol or drug use. You will face a variety of fees and very likely a fine.

The first thing in court is your arraignment hearing during which you can enter a plea, and this is where you will need the advice of an attorney on how to navigate your charges. I did not have any demonstrable monetary resources, so my defense attorney was provided for me and the sliding scale of fees was waived. Your circumstances may be different.

Now is the time to stop drinking for certain and for your well-being going through all of the tribulations that can be drawn out over time. It will be difficult, but you can put your life back in order. A recovery program to be completed before or started in advance of your court hearing/trail may work in your favor on all aspects. I would go to those AA meetings regularly as well, for support at the minimum.

I feel for you but can tell you with assurance that you need to take this step by step and do *all* the right things to come through. You probably are panicky and grief stricken over the situation, I was. Don't give in to the AV notion that things are so bad that drinking cannot make it worse.