View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

I hope against hope that it's someone else but I fear you're probably right. Every time I've logged on over the last few months I've quickly scanned the forum for new posts by him; probably death or serious illness would be the only things to keep him away. He had some health issues of late and at his age it makes sense. It strikes me very hard, especially as I've learned of the passing of him and Gilmer within just a few days.

Bill was indeed a vast reservoir of human kindness. There was a firmness beneath the kindness and he was diplomatic while cutting away nonsense and getting to the point. I was also greatly impressed by his vast intellect and education. He was well spoken and well read, just a well rounded person.

Over the last year his posts did seem to veer towards the darker side. He shared fears of death and of outliving his wife, and at the same his worry about what would become of her if he passed first. Oddly I also find myself concerned for his beloved dog whom he doted on.

People do come and go online, and especially a forum like this. But Bill was a steady presence, a genuine rock upon which one could depend.

Bill Painter faced a lot of problems and pain in his life but it seems he lead a good life. He was widely respected and we here loved him deeply. His passing leaves the place somehow diminished. I for one will never forget his wry wit and wisdom, nor his courage.

RIP, Bill Painter. You exemplified the best in us. May you rest in peace.