View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Hi HC, I used this community.

But..and it's a big but - I committed to doing everything else I could but drink. I had to take drinking off the table.

Everything in my head said drinking would fix whatever ailed me. Everything said I'd never get sober.

Everything said I was too sensitive to cope. Everything said if people had my life, they;'d drink too.

Everything in my head said I was too far gone.

None of that was true.

It was easy to break down and reach for a bottle but I knew that wasn't going to lead to change.

I had to have faith that not drinking - however painful and uncomfortable in the short term - was going to pay off in the long run.

Do a little cost benefit analysis - look at what you do not to drink - what effort has gone into that in the last say two weeks....

and then look at the effort you put in to drinking for that same time - including money time and repercussions.

If the latter is greater, you have a problem and it needs fixing. The only way to fix it is to make different choices.

You can start by engaging with the ideas raised in threads like these. I don;t think I've seen you come back to a thread too often.

You might not mean anything by it - but it's a symptom of the problem, I think.

i was good at initiating ideas but woeful at following through. My addiction loved that.

Engage with the ideas and the people making the suggestions - you might find a breakthrough there?

D