View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
CaptainHaddock

I’ve had a number of stops and starts, but at 9 months this is the longest I’ve been sober in the past few years and the sobriety stretches have gotten longer each time.

If one could call that “getting and staying sober” (which I accept a number of people might have a quarrel with), I’ll tell you that my successful attemps have always been at a time when I convinced myself I was quitting (and I know this sort of speaks for itself). It began immediately on the very first day when I was having least of a hangover.

Secondly, remaining aware of and connected to my condition is important to me. This means logging in and participating here (at least by reading), and other reading-up on addiction in general and thinking (but in a more just-being-aware that I have it kind of way) about the condition.

My intro might make it seem that my sobriety is shaky. Well, please permit me to hastily assure you that it is not! Currently I am doing more than I have ever done before. I am determined that this time it is for life, yet I still take it day by day.

It is comforting to know that a lot still remains out there to be learnt.