View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Guener

Well, Realest, our experiences into recovery our quite different in how things are happening with us, but I do have major depressive disorder and take medication for it.

How you respond to medication is dependent upon your own genetic and psychological makeup, and for me it took some period of adjustment to see the benefits that I have today. Don't be hesitant to speak to your physician about what you are going through. I saw my psychiatrist every month in the beginning to sort it out.

As you know, depression can generally suppress our interest in what we used to enjoy or interfere with our feelings to the point of general uselessness/hopelessness. I still find it affects me to the extent that I have lost the motivation in some things that used to bring me happiness, but I am making progress on that front in finding new things that engage me and working at former things on a daily basis. The medication doesn't make me feel happy per se but helps me get out of the way of my own self in working toward things that bring me satisfaction.

I also feel for myself that changing all the habits that I associated with negative thinking, particularly drinking, has been a huge adjustment for me to make. I am faced with my emotions on real terms and am developing ways to associate with those in a clean way, and that has meant some degree of apathy and difficulty in coping with those feelings. Recovery itself is difficult, and with depression it can come across as somewhat overwhelming to deal with the changes.

Many people find great therapeutic value in working the twelve steps in AA, my own path has been different from that. I find that I have to also do my own work of my plan of recovery, regardless of how I may be feeling that particular day. Some days I don't want to put in that effort, but I make sure to do at least some part of it every day. Working the steps, as I understand it, is not a path of least resistance as some might think but requires a lot of commitment, too.

I used to argue with my ex about the ability of people to change how they think and feel. Today I believe I was wrong about my position of saying it was not possible to fundamentally alter how we perceive things and therefore react to them. My value system requires as much attention as my abstinence for me to feel that sobriety brings meaning into my life. Gradually that seems to be working on my behalf, and I have plenty more to do to reinforce myself against feeling shaky sometimes.