View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
August252015

I think that's a solid thought process! I was what a lot of people might consider very conservative in how I approached the world, and as my dad would say "people, places and practices."

I didn't do much going out and about for about 100 days, except some meals with my parents and one trip with them to the beach for my 90 day weekend...started off w lunch and then dinner one on one with friends I knew were good for me, most of whom I was reconnecting with bc my drinking and choices led me far from them...took my first big out of town trip at 9 mo with my now husband - and we even made a couple of choices during that trip to leave a place w a long wait for dinner bc neither of us wanted to sit at the bar (he is in recovery too)....first party at 14 mo...wedding at 19....during the first two years was especially discerning about fam events... I CAN go anywhere and do anything now - but I have also learned that what I WANT to do is usually different than it was when I was drinking.

If you want to be sober permanently, like me, it was really important to make the next right choice which is often literal stuff early on, like not leaving the house at all! Anything that supports your choice not to drink.

It gets much easier, better- and a lot more fun. Hope you stick with us and build a solid, complete sober plan.