View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by Undrgd View Post
I'm sure it's a very familiar scenario of the quick catch up with mates that leads to sillyness!

My biggest struggle is 95% of my friend circle is all on that vibe, it's almost impossible to pop out and have a pint without someone 'making the call' .... I m kind of at that stage where I feel sobriety is my only option! I'm weak!!

Has anyone on here managed to shift this unnecessary itch/habit without becoming a recluse?
I had to completely change my circle of friends because my circle of friends drank and drugged like I did.

I'm not sure how many of them were actually friends tho - a few mates stuck by me and did the amazing thing of committing to not drinking around me, the rest drifted away.

I didn't sit at home like a recluse tho - I recommitted with old friends who I'd drifted away from when it became all about the drinking, and in time I made new friends who only knew me as a non drinker.

I avoided the pub and parties but I went on coffee dates, walks , picnics and movies, I went to art galleries and museums, I re-engaged in hobbies and interests I;d had before and I found new ones.

I call that process building up my sober muscles - no one starts lifting 300 pounds - you work up to it.

I probably put in a good 12 months of no alcohol related things in my life.

In time I found I was strong enough to hang around drinkers again - it was hard not to as a musician - but I don;t really enjoy doing that anymore unless I have to at a gig and then I tolerate it.

if a year sounds like an eternity consider I drank and drugged for nigh on 30 years...I think 12 months was a pretty good deal.

D