View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Torii

Welcome to SR

I had a couple years sober before a 3 year relapse and am back freshly on the wagon, so I'm not sure how useful my advice is, but I'll share anyway.

when I was in my 20s this was a big thing for me. Small town, nothing to do but drink. Consequently, all my social interactions were structured around the local pubs/drinking. Thursdays was the sports club, Fridays the rsl, Saturdays at the big pub, every other day at the little pub.

I quit once by just not leaving my house for a couple weeks and that caused some strife with a couple of my "close" friends (the two who were also alcoholics and using me to help justify their own behaviours, as I did to them, really). Once I started going out without drinking I found that the vast majority of people didn't care that I was sitting on a soda water. Country town, so they were happy as long as they were drinking.

Being sober around dunk people gets old quickly, though. I ended up leaving early or not going out and as a result ended up finding new people to hang out with, and new interests.

When I moved to the city I had a lot of friends who drank and it wasn't an issue at all that I didn't - they only knew me as a non drinker. I remember it being a kind of epiphany the first time I went out without drinking and realised that alcohol would not have improved the night in any way.