View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

You're asking good questions and have gotten some good feedback.

I'd perhaps back the steps up to 2, then 3. In 2 we "come to believe that a power greater than ourselves could" restore us to sanity." IME and IMO, the thing about this is that we believe there could be something bigger than ourselves. Then we turn our will over to that something.

Do you have an actual definition and description of what your "God" - HP- is? By this I mean, that I believe in God - and would describe it as a Christian god much expanded from my conservative Methodist upbringing to a far more spiritual one influenced by the works of Friar Richard Rohr and understanding of other wisdom traditions. I have a friend and mentor who says he has never believed in God - but I have rarely seen a person who has as much love and service focus as he does, and certainly believes it takes others beyond him to be sober.

I started doing something early in my sobriety- about 4 mo or so- that is a habit I keep daily. I read pp 84-88 and to the point here, 417-418. Acceptance that I am not in control, that God (or whatever name you give to your HP) is the one who directs the show, acceptance of this and my job is "doing the next right thing" as the phrase we might often hear in the rooms goes.

I find that as I have gone along (I will have 3 yr in Feb provided I keep doing all I do!), self-checking certain steps is important (I especially focus on 10/11 daily) and recently admitted I needed to do another 4 now and did it - and at the same time as this focus on 12. Working with others, being of service in little ways and those that have nothing to do with recovery work, all that.

Glad you are here.