Thread: Acceptance
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post
Detaching is a process and is day by day. Sometimes I detached too much and overlooked things that should have mattered to me one way or another.

Awal, I'm glad you are feeling peaceful right now
I agree with you Clover, that's true, it is a process and detaching too much can be very negative in an ongoing relationship.

I'm just sitting here thinking about this and I think it would be easy to apply pity, in some cases, to the drinker. Whether they struggle with mental health, other concerns or a Daughter that won't speak to them ( I was that Daughter for a year to my alcoholic Father). It did strike a chord.

To hear some alcoholic Father's speak you would think they are the salt of the earth. Take the alcoholic you know and put him in charge of children, you get the idea. So perhaps I'm seeing it from that point of view and I'm sorry Awal if that is not the case for your Husband (I know you mentioned it before but I can't remember if he was a drinker as his child(ren) were growing up).

I just wonder if going down the "pity" road is perhaps not the best approach? This could hurt Awal and that is where that concern comes from.