View Single Post
Old 12-31-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BartShelbyGT

Back Again- Wondering About Withdrawal

Hi. After 18 months on the moderation roller coaster (you all know the drill... month sober, 4 day bender, nightmarish withdrawals, get feeling healthy again, get drunk, rinse and repeat), I’ve finally accepted total abstinence is the only way for me. I have a good support system in my wife, my family, my church, and my doctor, who prescribed Naltrexone.

I’m about 23 hours from my last drink, following 10 days of at least 18 drinks a day. I should be a quivering messy ball of anxiety, shakes, sweats, and the general misery. I don’t feel super, but actually not too bad. I’ve eaten like a horse all day, taken some Vitamin B complex, had a .5 Xanax (prescribed), and slept relatively well. Plus a gallon of Gatorade

I’m 45, male, 6’3”, 270 (some of that’s a gut, but also weightlifter). Should I be freaked out that delayed withdrawals are on the way. In the past, 24 hours after a giant bender, I’ve been completely immobilized. Did I just luck out? I know no medical advice is allowed, just wondering about others’ experiences from an anecdotal perspective. Thanks.