View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, as an alcoholic myself I can tell you that this isn't necessarily true - though it may be. No way to know.

There is a phenomenon called Reverse Tolerance in long-term alcoholics and it is when there has already been damage done to the liver/organs. You can Google that.
Thanks for that bimini, I did look it up and that's really interesting, I actually wondered about that.

I found a good reference on it that I will link below if anyone else is interested. It's apparently quite rare.

One other thing mentioned in the information is "normal" lowering of tolerance, where the liver etc is not hugely damaged, so renewing drinking at a lower level, after a period of abstinence, or just drinking at a much lower level with no abstinence.

I'd still check the toilet tank. (seriously though, as many have mentioned, better to put the focus on yourself. One drink or twenty, if it's upsetting you that's what's important).

What Is Reverse Tolerance?

"One should be very careful not to confuse Reverse Tolerance with the Healthy Tolerance Reversal which occurs when a heavy drinker does a period of abstinence from alcohol or a period of moderate drinking. When the amount of alcohol to which the liver is exposed on a daily basis is greatly decreased, liver enzymes begin to return to normal levels and alcohol tolerance (as well as dose response) tends to return to levels similar to those before the subject began drinking heavily".