View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Guener

For an addict like myself I have to remember that while I was drinking I was a destructive force to myself and to others. I was generating chaos such as you have recently experienced in losing a job. In such a situation I was faced with the choice of consciously wreaking havoc or not. In this context I faced an ethical decision on how to live.

You stopped while you were pregnant, so you have proven that it is possible for yourself. You were operating under a compelled situation of whether to hurt your child by drinking. That dilemma still exists, and it's a moral one to consider.

I would ask yourself how you can add to your efforts to retain sobriety for the long-term. Does that mean going to meetings (AA or otherwise) for support? Does it mean marriage counseling on how you can work this through with a spouse that drinks, apparently, excessively? How can you respond to the desire to drink when it seems like that is the only thing that matters at the moment? I needed a lot of help and experiences to get to the point now where I have stopped, and it was ugly but didn't have to be as extreme as I led it to be. I don't want to live a life of desperation any longer, and I think you'd gladly give up on that, too.

Being here on SR is tremendous, and I commend you for reaching out with your situation and to ask for advice. You'll find a caring group of people here that have been through much of what you already know and want to leave behind. Avail yourself of all that you can to get through this trouble, it's worth it.