View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
trailmix

Buying a house can be a big deal, it's a lot of money. I was discussing this with someone once. I said buying a house is no different than buying a hammer.

They kind of smiled (I had never purchased a house at that point). I then said, a hammer or a house, you either have the money or you don't.

Now, that may seem over simplified, but in my book it is true. Same with divorce or separation. You are not incarcerated, you haven't broken any law, no judge sent you to the "big house" to pay for your sinning ways (artistic license there, I don't think you have sinning ways!).

You are simply a hostage but you have a key to the door.

To separate all you have to do is walk out the door.

Financials first, I know you work at least part time? Does he work? Perhaps you can collect spousal support from him (alimony), if you file for divorce, or perhaps make a financial deal with him in the interim during the separation.

You really need to consult with a lawyer. If money is an issue there look for a lawyer with a free consultation or perhaps there is a free or low cost service in your area.

So what is the current situation in terms of employment and housing? Do you rent your house or own it?