View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TheStath

Another forgotten birthday...

Been great friends (or so it seems) to what everyone says is an alcoholic (I am naïve when it comes to these things) for years. We get on great. She says some lovely things. She is a lovely person. Problem is she drinks about 7-8 cans of Bavaria lager each day no matter what. Comes naturally. I don't drink at all indeed I am more addicted to exercise than anything.

She lives abroad but is British. I go and visit as often as I can and we have gone from her living rough/no job to having a place to stay and a job. So we have got somewhere. I don't subscribe to the "rock bottom" theory as you cannot help someone that is dead and some die before rock bottom is reached. But the drinking remains and sometimes she doesn't eat for days.

So here we are. My birthday on Wednesday. No card. It's obviously Christmas and again, no card. I often send nice things over to cheer her up as all her so called friends have deserted her. Never or seldom (very very rare) send money obviously.

But I feel so down that not even a card. Wouldn't cost much. Lives near shop that sells cards and the post office is a short walk. Would mean so much to me but she is oblivious. I have made an excuse today that "I am feeling down so don't want to talk" and I will feel ok after Christmas but its horrible.

Happy to discuss.