View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SoberCAH

"I just feel like I need more inner work."

My experiences have been a little different that some of the posters on this thread.

I went to treatment, which integrated me into AA.

I have been working the program ever since.

Since getting sober, I have never been to a therapist or psychologist.

I suspect that I have some issues (childhood ones come to mind) for which that kind of help would give me some additional peace.

I plan to explore that option next year (I have already discussed it with my very understanding wife).

But I have done a lot of outer work by helping others who are, or who aspire to be, in recovery, and I tend to help a fair amount of others who have no need for substance abuse or mental health assistance.

As you may expect, I seem to be the person who profits from these effort, likely more than the others I am trying to help.

I have long since gotten over the guilt and shame feelings which were a part of my daily life for decades, but, I think, largely because I try to do a fair amount of good things on a daily basis.

There is a whole world of people who need help, so it's not hard to find someone we can try to assist.

Just my thoughts - I'm glad you're here and I'm happy you have brought up this topic.