Thread: Sad
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fearlessat50

Originally Posted by Rd2quit View Post
Fearless - I know you posted before that your kiddo is on the autism spectrum. I certainly dont know the specific challanges you face raising an aspie child but I do know you are 100% right that drinking would make the situation much worse, not better.

Posting here is a fantastic resource for all issues concerning sobriety and recovery. You also have the unique situation of raising an aspie child. Do you have access to support for parents that are raising children on the autism spectrum?

I hope this post makes sense. I dont have any idea what I'm talking about when it comes to autism. I was just thinking there may be support
groups or experts you could reach out to that do know what they are talking about.
Thanks R2q! There is a support group in our area and it does help to stay connected with these parents. Sometimes, though, it feels like parents of spectrum kids get caught up with comparing diagnosis and severity. Those of us with children on the higher functioning side sometimes get comments suggesting we don’t have any right to feel bad because at least our son isn’t like so and so’s kid who has severe autism and also epilepsy or what have you. I know that objectively this is correct and it is important to keep perspective. Emotionally, though, it doesn’t make me feel better or supported. We have other support systems as well, like therapy, and use all the resources available to us.

What I love about SR is that even though we all have different stressors and challenges, we are all here supporting each other in staying sober. There is no judgment here at all. I never feel like there are people evaluating me or dismissing my feelings when I come here. That helps me so much even if folks don’t relate to my specific situation.

Thank you