View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LaceyDallas

So, this man, in his forties, started to drink heavily after an emotional problem, than he lost his job and his wife (due to drinking) so he had nothing to go back to. He had a short period of heavy drinking in his 20, also in stressful period ehen he was drinking to black out, but this passed in a few months when problems cleared.

Normal people don't drink to escape their problems.

So, 18 months ago he was hospitalised for the first time and he added about 15 admission, last one being 6 months ago.

15 admissions?!? This is SERIOUS, no matter how you wish to label it- this person needs HELP.

He used to binge drink, on his own, started to drink and couldn’t stop on his own, always ending in the hospital after one/2 weeks of being intoxicated. He could then resist for 1 week to 3 months, but he as soon as he started...in a few weeks he was back in hospital again, after doing many stupid things and eventually being unconscious.

Again...a SERIOUS problem, no matter how you choose to describe it. It's a problem to do stupid things, black out and wind up in the hospital after drinking. This requires intervention, because people can die engaging in this sort of behavior. Or go to jail, or kill someone else, or damage their organs.

he went into rehab, came back, managed to get a new job wich he loves, his personal life it’s good...but confessed that 2 months ago he started drinking again, “moderately” of course, without finishing a bottle ever, only wine and beer, from time to time, without getting drunk and bla bla. The truth is he never resisted 2 months without getting intoxicated.
he never had withdrawal symptoms.

Sounds a lot like me. I never drank every day- I was a binge drinker. But, when I did drink, I drank to excess and I did the things described here- blackouts, hospitalization. I missed work and lost various jobs, I left college, I got into fights with people, I got thrown out of bars, and the thing that got me sober was getting arrested and it wound up being pretty serious. It would have NEVER happened if I was sober, and it still affects my life to this day. All that...and I never drank daily.

My best friend, who was a binge drinker with me, is now an alcoholic and has some sort of liver problem, but she won't go to the doctor to get a test done, so we don't know how serious it is. She also still drinks. We are not even 40 yet.

Some people should just just stay away from alcohol, but only he can make that decision. You can provide him with the information, but if he doesn't see it as a problem, he will continue and there's not much anyone can do. I would try and present the evidence, at least. Good luck.