View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FutureYesterday

Alcoholic or problem drinker?

Hi, everybody. This is my first post here, but I’ve been reading alot since few years ago.

I’ll give you some info about a man, and I need your opinions about his drinking pattern...well, actually, more that a pattern already. I know alot about alcoholism, about moderate consumption wich looks barely impossible/abstinence, but I just can’t think clearly.

So, this man, in his forties, started to drink heavily after an emotional problem, than he lost his job and his wife (due to drinking) so he had nothing to go back to. He had a short period of heavy drinking in his 20, also in stressful period ehen he was drinking to black out, but this passed in a few months when problems cleared. So, 18 months ago he was hospitalised for the first time and he added about 15 admission, last one being 6 months ago. He used to binge drink, on his own, started to drink and couldn’t stop on his own, always ending in the hospital after one/2 weeks of being intoxicated. He could then resist for 1 week to 3 months, but he as soon as he started...in a few weeks he was back in hospital again, after doing many stupid things and eventually being unconscious.
he went into rehab, came back, managed to get a new job wich he loves, his personal life it’s good...but confessed that 2 months ago he started drinking again, “moderately” of course, without finishing a bottle ever, only wine and beer, from time to time, without getting drunk and bla bla. The truth is he never resisted 2 months without getting intoxicated.
he never had withdrawal symptoms

is this alcoholism or problem drinking? Do you thing he’ll eve
r be able to moderate? I know the theory, the statistics, the threads around here. I think I just need a more personalized answer.

thank you.