View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

I have had experiences with people who were chill and were OK with my approach in early sobriety of attending the meetings for the community and learning from others that I was not alone.

I have also had experiences with "Big Book thumpers"that flat out told me that if I didn't do AA, including working steps, that I would surely relapse.

I tried working the steps and couldn't get past the giving myself to a higher power jazz. I would have continued attending meetings only but found the undercurrent that I wasn'r getting anything out of 12 Step.if I didn't work the steps a bit too pervasive to continue. Once I started my cognitive based IOP I haven't returned to 12 Step. I simply took drinking off the table in an AVRT type way. The cognitive tools and AVRT principles have worked for me, I'm now 19 months sober. Drinking simply isn't an option for me, ever.

My point is not that 12 Steps doesn't work and cognitive and AVRT are superior. That's what worked FOR ME. Millions have gotten and remained sober for life through 12 Step programs.

Your recovery is quite simply what gets you and keeps you sober. Period. Do whatever works for you. Try working the steps and/or other options. Use what resonates with you.