View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jimmyJlover

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Jimmy -

You have quite a gift for articulating the carnage arising from pathological drinking.

We all need to remember what it did to us.

Since you want the unadulterated version of getting and staying sober, I can say that, for me, the answer has been asking God for help and getting it, for a pretty good while now, through working the AA program.

Congrats on your 28 days.

That's really quite remarkable.

I was still under lock and key (at a treatment center) when I picked up my 1 month chip.

I encourage you to find and take advantage of your local AA meetings.

I still go to them, because AA has worked for me now since the very beginning.

Make no mistake, early on there were a fair amount of fits and starts, so to speak, but no relapses.

But I kept at it and could not imagine turning loose of what it has given me, which is a pretty normal life.

I was a distance runner before getting into the program and my mileage and times improved dramatically.

At my current age, though, I just amble along without worrying about times, races, etc.

We're happy you're here with us and we look forward to living your recovery with you on a vicarious basis.
I want to say thanks again for the responses. There seems a variety of avenues to stay sober. At some point I would like to write down or hash out my reasons for drinking, preferably with a therapist or someone who also shares an alcohol problem, yet has a strong foundation for sober living. I could benefit from in person discussion.

From what I have slowly looked into, I believe AA might be an avenue for me. I want to try it, but nervous as well. The first thought, "what will everyone think of me", "what if I see someone I know and then I'm busted"? Funny, because if I ran into someone I know, they would be there for the same reasons I am LOL.

I know some folks who hold complete anonymity and others who declare loud and proud, sharing stories and reaching out to as many as possible through multiple social platforms. I respect both personalities as they can help in different ways.

I do believe in the "day at a time" attitude and have applied this to other aspects of my life. For now, I have adopted the 24hr mantra.