View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

Welsh- welcome. The most important time to share- is when you do not want to.
Just as I did not want to go to AA- who does/ I prefer my own company.
I lost my life (briefly), wife, my 2 adult sons do not talk to me, my home, possessions, career - everything...before I finally got sober after 25 years or so.
For me- a continually developing plan is necessary- with support from a GP (health and depression), psychologist (CBT- to change my thoughts/feelings/actions), counsellor (addiction).
ALSO- DAILY SUPPORT! This is so very necessary. Sobriety is not like a bank account. I cannot 'save' up going to meetings/doc- etc, then not do anything for a month as I have reserves. It is always only a guarantee until this moment.
If I drink again- next time I will die (clinically dead 3 times).

Meetings make me be with humans- even if I do not agree with some of the people who share- the common goal is to day sober and offer/get support. It is also free/ Stuff may be diff. where you are- but worth thinking about. I also take care not to isolate, keep a journal and remember to listen to my bod. when ever I feel tired/anxiety with HALTS.

If I am
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired/thirsty
Sad or stressed- I eat, rest, hydrate- or work out how to fix my self- or get help.
I also share on a few different newcomer's threads- every day.

Support to you.