View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
joandmelandhan

Welcome to SR Jimmy. I found your post very interesting and you seem to have a high degree of analytical thinking in terms of analysing your symptoms and goal. A good start to a sobriety plan.
The improvement in your symptoms is pretty amazing in 28 days yes?
I don't really think it matters what label you do or don't choose to identify with. Personally the word alcoholic pretty much does it for me.
I was drinking alcoholically for 16 years and soon will have 17 months of sobriety. I am 47 and a mother of 2 girls. I "tried" many dozens of times to stop but it dragged me back time and time again. Like you I had developed many symptoms and withdrawal was becoming a terrifying occurrence. I was genuinely afraid that this thing would kill me. Because it does.
I tried AA but for many reasons it wasn't for me (but I did take away many positive strategies and experiences) and then I stumbled across SR. Even then I went back to alcohol another several times but the last time I went back the range of symptoms I experienced was enough for me to take this thing very seriously indeed.
With the wonderful support here I stopped. I accepted over time that this thing I have is with me for life. Not one sip of alcohol would ever cross my lips ever again. Ever. No matter how long I am abstinent the result of one drink would eventually have me back in that dark place and I simply wasn't prepared to sacrifice my life for that poison.
I don't have an answer for you as to "how" apart from to say that no matter what I get my head on the pillow sober every night. I plan for risky times. I live my life in a way that keeps me safe. Nothing is more important than my sobriety. Without that I'm done.
I believe that addiction to alcohol ends ultimately with our death be it suddenly through an accident or slowly and painfully over time. We are saving our lives here.
You have the makings of a great sobriety plan and by finding this site I am confident that you will find your way to permanent sobriety and the life you deserve. Take care xxx