Thread: Broken
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CupofJoe

So sorry to hear what you're going through. My situation isn't totally similar, but I'll share my experience.

I had an addict boyfriend and we were engaged. I'm also a (now) recovered alcoholic, but I was at the beginning of my own addiction at that point. He was unemployed (he got himself fired from the job I helped him get) and I was supporting us both. I loved him very much and I know it was mutual. Long story short, we ended up getting kicked out of the place we were renting and stayed with some of my relatives. He stole money from my family and that was the final straw.

He was unemployed, broke, and had nowhere to go.

I can't tell you the amount I suffered knowing that I was safe, but he was out on the streets. I tried to get him help, but I finally got fed up. I went no contact and I know things weren't good for him.

It wasn't easy, but his addiction was taking its toll on me. He was messed up long before he met me. It hurt a lot. It wasn't easy by any means, but it was the right decision.

At the same time, I am glad I got out of that situation. I wish he had gotten sober and took responsibility for his life, but that's not my call. Even if he had gotten sober and taken responsibility--maybe it still wouldn't have worked out. Not all relationships do.

I can feel pity for him, but in retrospect, I think to myself, he was a grown man and squandered the help that I and my family had offered him. He chose drugs over me. Period. Even when he tried to stay sober, he wasn't making responsible choices. He also refused to work at crap jobs--or even volunteer to get experience--because he was "too good" for it. (He wasn't too good to use the money that I earned at my own crap job, however.) We addicts are great at making excuses.

As a sober alcoholic, I will also say that I am responsible for the train wreck my life became. I don't blame anyone who walked away. I want the people in my life to be happy and if that meant leaving me, I accept that.

It's complicated. But please, please take care of yourself first. Your situation isn't normal. Listen to your gut. Please be good for yourself.