View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CupofJoe

Hi there and congrats on five days! I started AA before texting was really popular, but I'm sure either is ok. I found it really helpful to call people if I was struggling or just feeling like I needed to connect to someone sober. I wouldn't have recognized those people that I called by sight necessarily, but it didn't matter. They were an alcoholic that I could talk to. I had a few sponsors over a period of time and they were amazing.

I gave out my number, too, and most of the time people don't call. When they do, I was always thrilled. It always felt good to be able to talk to someone and know we were in this together and helping each other. Because when other women called me, they were helping me as much as I was helping them.

I'd usually say something like, "Hi, I'm Cup of Joe from AA and you gave me your number/your number was on the call list." Sometimes the person is chatty, but if not, I'd say something like, "I'm just struggling or just wanting to talk to someone or whatever." Then conversation follows.

I'm super shy, too, and so are many other members, so don't take it personally if it feels awkward. I'm really, really awkward, but I always like talking to people, even if I can't get it across easily.