View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
August252015

Welcome! Great job on getting started sober - and as an AA person (who ultimately committed after years of no-good-reasons for balking), I'd suggest a few things.

I found getting numbers a little awkward too - I slowly started just by nodding and smiling or saying hello to folks whose faces I began to recognize and especially those whose shares I got most out of for where I was - just starting out! That's a great reason to take people up on the suggestion to do 90 meetings in 90 days. I hit 82 I think - and I took my time sharing. Some people find getting a sponsor immediately is the way to go- I knew I was committed to AA but I waited till day 97 to ask someone (again, a person I'd listened to awhile and "who had what I wanted" as I heard people say) to sponsor me.

In your area, there should be an AA hotline- it might be 24 hours but usually is at least 12 a day. Google AA and your city (ie for me it is aaatlanta.org) and find it.

In meetings here, people with a year or more of sobriety who are willing to sponsor are usually asked to raise their hands at the end of a meeting. I'd suggest even approaching someone just to talk after a meeting, or meet for coffee.

I say that people often give out numbers if they really want you to reach out - most people, like me, with at least some sober time (I just passed 2 yr 9 mo) will wait for YOU to contact us because we want to know if you are indeed ready. Remember that everyone is busy and has their own stuff- including their sobriety and program- going on, so not responding is 99% of the time NOT about you.

My experience was the more I went to meetings and listened, and "kept coming back" the program sunk in and the people there started to make sense.

Newcomers or 12 Step meetings should be listed in the meetings section of that local website I suggested, so look for those indicators and maybe try those meetings in particular. Finally, getting in the habit of going to the same meeting/time of day - ie noon weekdays is what I started with- will usually give you familiar faces pretty quickly.

Stick with it and us!!