View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
gemini7

Originally Posted by Fitchicky View Post
Hi Kindness-

our stories are very similar. I dated my husband when I was 16, we drifted through life, reconnecting 30 years later. He told me the same story, that he was a recovering addict, having committed to sober living and having had completed a year rehab program. I believed him, there’s no way I would ever let a user into my life (me as the idiot I was) I feel like he was sober for a a year after. Then he started smoking weed, then drinking, then taking his moms pills- then he started being aggressive and terrorizing the family-!he especially did this around every family event;!Christmas, Birthdays, vacations. I’m not sure why other then spending time with the family meant he couldn’t hide anything he was doing. So he would pick fights and storm out. He had his mother convinced I was nuts and he wasn’t using, meanwhile, he hocked her tv- god only knows what else. So here we are, and I’m hurt, but exhausted.
Yes, they do sound very similar. Again, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I'm the same as you in that if it was anyone else, I would never have given him a chance. I shouldn't have given him a chance even though it was him. I always felt we had this connection and was still thinking of him as the same person I knew before, except older of course and hopefully wiser. But he was neither.

He's still stuck in his early twenties emotionally and it's just been a hot mess. I really hope you can find some comfort and strength here, and in your personal life, to be able to leave him. Once they are caught up in the addiction, they are no longer who you knew. They turn into totally different people that no one wants to know except other addicts. And yeah the picking fights, that's what they do so they can get to their drugs. That's all they care about. Just remember you're not alone in your pain, although I'm sure you feel you are at times. Big hugs from me.