View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
gemini7

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Taking action right now is probably low in your list of things you would like to do. You are hurting and as you said, grieving. These are not strong motivators for action (if they were wouldn't that be great!).

I find when I am down sometimes I just have to drag myself to whatever it is I need to do for myself. Might mean I'm not at my best on arrival, maybe I won't bother with any makeup and just run a brush through my hair but it's action, not words, not "I should".

Think of it this way, what could an Al-Anon meeting hurt? How could it make it worse? Well the truth is it really won't and there is a chance it could make you feel better and help you to start moving forward.

Why not give it a try.
It's true. I have zero motivation for much of anything right now. It's taking a lot to get out of bed, etc.

I will think about going to a meeting. I wish they had a nar anon meeting near me, but they don't. Only al anon. My ex is not an alcoholic. He is a crack addict. I understand the basics are the same, I'm sure. I don't know. I guess I want to talk to ppl who understand dealing with people with drug addiction, not just alcoholism.

Sidenote: There is a history of alcoholism in my family. My dad is an alcoholic who was not an active addict for most of my childhood. There were times here and there I remember him being drunk though. It got really bad for him over the last decade or so. I was living in another state and wasn't nearby. I came back to my hometown and still didn't know how bad it was b/c my stepmom wasn't telling anyone. Long story with all of this. (He is supposedly sober right now, but I'm never sure). His dad and brother were also alcoholics. My grandpa and uncle both passed from alcohol related health issues.

So, I've thought about going for those reasons as well. I don't know. I will def think about it. Thank you.