View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
kenton

Thank you Dee for saying you are proud of me! Makes me ridiculously happy. Thank you xxx

Been an emotional couple of days. As I mentioned yesterday, my 9 year old daughter is being bullied at school and I thought I'd got the situation sorted out but sadly it escalated. Sounds like the teacher dealt with it really badly yesterday. Now, I know I'm going to be 100% on my daughter's side and I know the other kid's mother is going to be 100% on her daughter's side which is why I raised the issue with the teacher... you need someone neutral to get to the truth. However, bearing in mind my daughter has never been in trouble at school and has never had any friendship issues and the other girl has been bullying kids for years, I hoped the teacher might use some common sense. Not so. After being so brave by telling me about the bullying and then being even braver in allowing me to speak to the teacher, my daughter was then completely disbelieved by the teacher. The teacher, for reasons known only to herself, chose to side with the bully. The bully then started crying and saying that my daughter has been bullying her! I was so angry and then last night I got a drunk phone call from the bully's mother ranting and swearing and generally being unpleasant.

So, I didn't sleep very much last night and I set everything out in an email to the head teacher. This morning, I reassured my daughter that I believe her 100% and that the truth always comes out. And it has done. The headmaster called me earlier to say that he had conducted a full investigation and spoken to several eye witnesses who all confirmed my daughter's version of events. Thank goodness my child will now be believed.

And this incident has taught me two things that are great about sobriety. Firstly, I'm so much better now at seeing the big picture and not getting bogged down by unnecessary nonsense. When the mother was ranting at me on the phone last night, she was saying some hurtful things but I didn't get pulled into a slanging match. I just kept thinking, 'I am standing up for my daughter. That is all that matters. My daughter needs to know that I believe her and I am in her corner and that I'm prepared to put myself in the line of fire for her'. Secondly, sobriety has given me the ability to bounce back from stuff so much quicker that before. I was so emotionally churned up last night but now I feel ok. I've dealt with it without losing my temper (even though I came close) and the truth has come out. My daughter has learnt that when you stand up to a bully, there is always a bit of drama but that doesn't mean you don't stand up for yourself. I very much doubt this will be the end of this story but whatever happens next, I'll deal with it. I know I can deal with it.

Congratulations to everyone celebrating a milestone today and 24 more for me please xxx