Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Much wisdom in all the replies but will add one more thing...

What is recovery? In my mind the state of recovery or recovered is a place of peace and stability without the addition of the substance of alcohol.

The path to that "recovered place and life" can have many pathways but the most successful one that I have ever encountered is the spiritual one where the suffering alcoholic works on the why of their drinking (usually there is some trauma or attachment disorder issues) and works on doing that inner healing through therapy and 12 step work.

I tell those I work with that meetings are just geography and support not the heart of AA or 12 step based living. The quality of the meeting can make a huge difference too... for the first year I suggest speaker meetings, Big Book and 12 Step Meetings. When one is ready go to an open meeting to look for your first sponsee… that can be one to 5 years depending on the how much one has progressed on their own journey to true "recovery" and can share their own experience , strength and hope.

Abstinence and "white knuckling" is almost always temporary.... one must heal before you can know in your heart that you are "recovered"... (something that many in AA says is impossible) … we have to work on ourselves for our entire life if we are ACOA, Codependents or Alcoholics!

Once your husband understands that he never made it under the wire of "recovery" or "recovered" state of having that peace, joy and sense of well being it might give him hope for another try at the real program of AA... the spiritual adventure or reconnected with God
authentically.

That is the miracle... the rocketing to the 4th dimension... that one rarely hears in an open meeting.

Learn all you can about the disease and keeping yourself well and healed and resilient.