View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FlyAgain

I’ve experienced many seizures as I’m a habitual relapser.

The theory of kindling is true in my experience as almost every time I withdraw from alcohol I have one (I go from hero to zero - not to be recommended).

They come without warning signs. The last time I was 4 days sober and happy, eating well, fit, working, not tired. Nothing that could give one any warning that anything was wrong.

I found myself on the floor of my living room, legs as jelly, brain not functioning, unable to move, but i’d hurt myself physically so somehow called the paramedics for that reason - not knowing the reason for my fall until a good 30 mins later - when you are able to start piecing the puzzle together.

ive had seizures everywhere from a golf course to my bathroom.

the main dangers are 1, physically hurting yourself from the sudden fall, hitting your head etc, and 2, because the body can become incontinent, choking on your own vomit, as seizures can induce vomiting (not drunken vomiting, it’s just the brain can’t control the gag reflex.

For those who live in England - your GP cannot do anything to preempt this, the ONLY prescription available for alcoholism on the NHS is to refer you to an alcohol service.

The alcohol service can arrange a medical detox but be prepared to wait months.

if you go to an nhs hospital - sure they’ll check you over after a seizure but they aren’t allowed to give you a detox and will almost certainly send you home.

there is one way to bypass this for an emergency NHS hospital detox - and that is to fake the symptoms of DTs - and have a trusted friend fake that you’re going thru them - they have to advocate for you.

this information is all available publicly via published nhs treatment documents.

envy of the world? Rubbish

only real way in England to withdraw safely, if you have a history of seizures, is to taper off very slowly over a couple of weeks. But for alcoholics tapering off is purgatory